<
  News   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Patching and Healing with Martin Evening.
Friday October 22, 2004
by Martin Evening

The third in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Healing Brush and Patch Tool. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Nikon Scanning Workflow
Friday October 15, 2004
by Scott Martin

Scott Martin has deciphered Nikon's workflow technology and brings us this quick guide to achieving great scans. For more information on Scott and his work, please visit www.on-sight.com.

Image Adjustments with Martin Evening.
Friday October 8, 2004
by Martin Evening

The second in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Photo Filter and Color Temperature. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Weekly Chatter:Monitor Recommendation
Wednesday October 6, 2004
by Imaging Revue Experts and Staff

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available in our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list. This thread contains some great information regarding the Sony Artisan and also touches on the LCD vs. CRT debate. If you are having some trouble with Artisan calibration, there are some helpful comments here. Jon Kulas

Basic Image Adjustments with IR Expert Martin Evening.
Thursday September 30, 2004
by Martin Evening

The first in a series of tutorials, Martin Evening outlines some basic image adjustments using curves and levels. Accompanying the excerpt is Martin's video tutorial. This file can be uncompressed using Stuffit or WinZip and can be viewed with Quicktime. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Printers > Fine Art/Photographic Printing > Solution -- IP not print with Epson 2200

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Solution -- IP not print with Epson 2200   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Martin M.
Posted on Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:19 PM

I'd like to thank Ian and David for responding to my previous posting and for their assistance.

I'm starting a new thread so that this information can be more easily found by anyone else who has the same problem, as this includes a solution.

My problem was that IP 5.5 did not print on my Epson 2200. I received a 163 error on the IP spooler indicating that IP could not find or communicate with the printer. I tried every possible solution and none of them worked. The previous thread focused on the fact that Epson apparently interacts with a firewire connection in a strange way, and the suggestion was to switch to USB. I tried that, and at least on my PC the Epson setup can't find the printer on a USB connection. The print monitor works via USB but the standard Epson driver wouldn't. I finally solved that problem by checking USB in the printer properties and also reinstalling the Epson driver. So, at least on my machine, the Epson driver appears to prefer firewire, which is the opposite of other reports.

Page 1-5 of the manual has a few sentences buried in the middle of a paragraph on a possible solution, and it works. About the same time that I figured it out I received the following email from IP tech support -- and this is the solution I'd recommend rather than switching back and forth between USB and Firewire. Note his recommendaton about checking the little box on the SHEET setting -- I encountered that problem as well.

One thing is certain -- IP is not well documented or user friendly. IP is not yet ready for prime time in terms of the general public. It should not be necessary to eat up a person's entire day just to get the damn software to print. I wold definitely not recommend this software to advanced amateur photographers unless they have a lot of patience to figure things out on their own.

On the other hand, I have to commend IP tech support for responding on a Saturday.

The solution as included in the email from IP tech support -- note that this works with either USB or firewire:

"The 163 error is, unfortunately, not a very descriptive one for us. Basically, its telling me that something is causing it not to print, but it doesn't tell me what.

Don't worry about the epson2200 driver in the windows driver list, we only
use that if you have the PostScript option of the software, and you are
printing directly from an application. Its basically an interface from the
windows spooling system into our queue. For printing directly from
IMagePrint, it is not used at all--you can delete it if you wish. The
important setting is the one you put in the IP Install dialog--you would
have put it in place of the default LPT1 setting.

I want to confirm that the port setting used by the Epson 2000 STYLUS
windows driver is the same as you entered in IP Install during the
installation phase (ie EP1394_00X). You can double check the IP Install
setting you used by opening the IP Manage application within the ImagePrint
folder.

If it is, and it still doesn't print, there must be some issue with
navigating the registry to the virtual firewire port. Epson sometimes makes
it hard to do that with the way they set up their fire wire port. Here's a
likely workaround:

Run IP Install (from the ImagePrint folder, not from the cd)--install the
printer again, as before, but this time, in place of the LPT1 designation,
put in the name of the Epson stylus driver, EXACTLY as it appears in the
Windows printer list (eg EPSON Stylus Pro 2200). Be careful to include
spaces, and it is case sensitive. You can then click install in IP Install.
This tells our driver to use whatever connection the Stylus is using. One
more thing--get properties on the STYLUS drive, and set it to "Print
Directly to Printer". That will prevent that driver from intercepting our
jobs into the Windows spooler.

One more potential problem -- when clicking Print in ImagePrint, make sure
to click SETUP in the print dialog, and select the SHEET setting if printing
sheet. That printer is picky about that setting, and you'll just get a
blinking light if you're using sheet and its not checked."

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

October 2004
S M T W T F S

4 5 6 7 8 9
17 18 19 20
27 28 29 30
November 2004
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5
12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright �2002-2004
Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service