<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Getting it Right: Correcting Skin Tones with Hue/Saturation
Wednesday June 9, 2004
by Jon Canfield

Jon Canfield shows us how to achieve accurate skin tones in Photoshop using Hue and Sat.

Book Review: Color Confidence by Tim Grey
Monday May 24, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Tim Grey's new book Color Confidence. Included is an excerpt from the book, Chapter 3, which deals with choosing and calibrating Displays.

Creating Panoramas
Monday May 10, 2004
by Ellen Anon

Ellen Anon illustrates the creation of Panoramas in Photoshop.

Working with Pressure Sensitive Tablets
Monday May 3, 2004
by Katrin Eismann

Katrin Eismann outlines the use of pressure sensitive tablets in image processing.

Book Review: Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging(Updated)
Monday April 26, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Peter K. Burian's latest book, "Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging."

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Printers > Fine Art/Photographic Printing > best mega-printer

Please Login

AuthorSubject: best mega-printer   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Joseph Horton
Posted on Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:17 AM

In the past years I have been lured to megachains for processing, scanning and printing. Sad, but true, I mean the Walmarts, Sam's Clubs and Costcos where I can get scans and 4x6s for 19cents and 8x10s @ $2. Its just too tempting for some work.

At one Walmart in SC (Fuji Frontera) I was thrilled with the results. Where I live now in Texas, the work is less consistent. As a result I've drifted around to a few megachains.

I have found that the Noritsu QSS-3101 at the local Costco does a pretty good job 85% of the time, but will sometimes scan and print consecutive (and virtually the same) image at different color tones--one more warm and golden, the next very cool and blue). Moreover their base scan, called a "4-base" Tiff size is just under 3x5 at 300dpi, making even 5x7's made from these scans dicey unless its a closeup. There are more costly and time consuming scan options but the scan goes up by a facor of 4--overkill for 95% of the applications since I just want to be able to touch up and print 5x7s.

One local Sam's with a Fuji Frontera has a higher scan quality (4x6 at 300dpi) for the same low price, but I have less confidence in the technicians since they have repeatedly mixed up, forgotten and otherwise botched my orders.

Apart from capable technicians what system/s should I be looking for?
I have assumed that the Fuji Frontera is top of the line, but I know relatively little about it.

Are there different versions of this system? Do other systems rival or surpass it now?

What questions should I ask labs as I continue my search for a mega printer?

Do any mail-off services stand above the rest?

JHorton

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

June 2004
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
8 9 10 11 12
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      
July 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
16 17
25 26 27 28 29 30

Upcoming Events

Digital Worklfow, Not Workslow, Make your WORKflow (a D-65 Workshop Led by IR Expert, Seth Resnick)
    6/13/04 at 9:00 AM to 6/19/04
Macworld Conference and Expo
    7/12/04 at 9:00 AM to 7/15/04
Digital Worklfow, Not Workslow, Make your WORKflow (a D-65 Workshop Led by IR Expert, Seth Resnick)
    7/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 7/24/04
JOHN PAUL CAPONIGRO NEW WORK
    7/31/04 at 10:00 AM to 8/8/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service