<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Weekly Chatter:Feedback on the Epson 4000
Monday July 19, 2004
by Imaging Revue Experts and Staff

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Weekly Chatter:Nikon 5000 experience???
Monday July 12, 2004
by Imaging Revue Experts and Staff.

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

8 Megapixel vs 6 Megapixel SLR Cameras
Wednesday July 7, 2004
by Peter K. Burian

Peter Burian compares 8 megapixel and 6 megapixel digital SLR cameras in his latest article.

Profile Maker 5.0
Monday June 28, 2004
by Bruce Fraser

Bruce Fraser gives us his expert critique of GretagMacbeth's professional color management suite - ProfileMaker 5.0.

Getting it Right: Correcting Skin Tones with Hue/Saturation
Wednesday June 9, 2004
by Jon Canfield

Jon Canfield shows us how to achieve accurate skin tones in Photoshop using Hue and Sat.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Site Related > Profile Support > custom profile - banding and poor shadow detail

Please Login

AuthorSubject: custom profile - banding and poor shadow detail   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Michael Poster
Posted on Mon Jul 7, 2003 12:40 PM

Jeff Schewe wisely asked that I restart this thread here in the profile support forum. The thread started here:
Digital Capture > Image Processing & Workflow
http://www.imagingrevue.com/forums/?thread=101

It was originally posted there since it described a problem that I thought was ACR conversion related. As discussion progressed it became clear to me that most if not all of the problem was print profile related, not conversion related. There are a number of test images posted there for anyone bored enough to want to look at them.

Suffice to say that I am having problems with a custom profile generated for Epson 2200/Enhanced Matte/1440. Andrew’s been helping me try to figure this out, but with no luck so far.

I’ve done enough testing at this point to feel relatively safe in pointing to the custom profile as the offender since the results with Epson’s canned profile are significantly better on my own Canon CRW file; more important the results using the canned profile are better than the custom profile on the IR printer test file. The gradients in that file are smoother with the Epson profile. The result of a soft-proof screen shot (the IR printer test file and the custom profile) is here. Top link leads the screen shot. Follow this link:
http://www.scrantonproject.com/2200/print_01/profile_comparison.htm

Other illustrations on that page are screen shots of my problem file soft-proofed using the custom profile and the Epson canned profile. My eye sees more detail, less break-up in the Epson profile soft-proof. The prints mimic these results.

Andrew’s last efforts were to create a new profile using a modified approach. My test of that profile shows no improvement :o(

The easy way out would seem to be to use the Epson profile and forget about it. Actually my review of the printer test file would tend to agree with that approach since the canned profile’s doing a better job. But I have had good luck using Andrew’s profile for some files, particularly BW images. They are noticeably more neutral using his profile. And I keep reading that custom profiles are far better than canned.

I'm hoping that it will become obvious that it's something wrong I'm doing or something in the profile that can be fixed.

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

July 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
16 17
28 29 30
August 2004
S M T W T F S
9 10 11 12 13 14
29 30 31        

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright ©2002-2003
Imaging Revue and Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service