<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Book Review: Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging(Updated)
Monday April 26, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Peter K. Burian's latest book, "Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part IV - Batch
Thursday April 1, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The fourth in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates the application of settings from one image to a series of images within Photoshop.

PDF Presentations
Thursday March 11, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro discusses an under-used feature of Photoshop. Allowing you to use the automate function to create universally viewable PDF slideshows!

Black and White Conversion
Monday March 8, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

A outline of Black and White conversions as well as a free Photoshop Action.

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part III - White Balance
Monday March 8, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

Third in a five part series, Jeff Schewe demonstrates how to achieve an accurate White Balance when using Camera Raw.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Software > Inside Photoshop > photokit edge sharpening

Please Login

AuthorSubject: photokit edge sharpening   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Eric Hiss
Posted on Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:53 PM

Hi Bruce,

I just read the Nik Sharpening post and also look forward to the PhotoKit SHARPENER as I've been using photokit for several months on a almost daily basis.

Until then I have a few questions regarding sharpening with the photokit product. First let me ask about what's the best way to use the photokit sharpening tools. To provide background, the images I work will all originate with a canon 1d camera and after edits are upressed and output on my Epson 7600 ultrachrome. I normally chose between ACR and C1 to convert from the RAW file and apply very minimal sharpening in the conversion (setting around 5-8 in ACR or 5 in C1) So I start my edits with some very low amount of sharpening or no sharpening. Then after editing I typically do a edge sharpen level 2 with photokit, duplicate the layer and set one to lighten blend mode and the other to darken blend mode and make layer masks for each and paint with 20% black brush to take out sharpening where I think it's too much. If I'm lazy then I'll just adjust the opacity of the whole layer until it is where I like it. Then I'll upres with S-Spline. Often I don't see a need to do any more sharpening after S-Spline at all but it seems to depend on the subject and the paper.

Here are my questions:
#1: Is it better to do luminance sharpening before edge sharpening if I do both in an image?

#2: Photokit sharpening layers come up in normal blend mode. Should I switch them to luminance blend mode if I don't split them into separate lighten and darken layers?

#3: I am have heard some people saying that sharpening is best in the midtones of the image and has only detrimental effects in the shadows and highlights. Is this true and if so is there an easy way to use the Blending Options sliders on photokit sharpening layers to take out the undesired parts of the layer?

#4 One of the reasons I find I have to do most of my sharpening before upresing is that photokit sharpening doesn't seem to work as well with a big file but maybe I'm not doing something right. Can you tell me if there was an optimum file size that the sharpening tools were designed for and how I should best use them for my workflow?

Hope this isn't too much to ask in one post and that others may chime in with their wisdom, experience, and questions.

Regards,
Eric Hiss

... this thread contains expert advice from Jeff Schewe and Bruce Fraser.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

April 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17

May 2004
S M T W T F S
2 3 4
9 10 11 12
24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          

Upcoming Events

PhotoImaging and Design Exp
    5/5/04 at 9:00 AM to 5/7/04
Article - Tutorial
    5/8/04 at 5:00 PM
The ClearFocus Studio
    5/13/04 at 12:00 PM
Article - Tutorial
    5/15/04 at 5:00 PM
DIGITAL WORKFLOW, NOT WORKslow (A D-65 workshop led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    5/16/04 at 9:00 AM to 5/22/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service