News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Proper Lighting Conditions
Thanks to GTI, this PDF shows some common specifications that are included in the ISO 3664:2000 guidelines.

Thursday December 18, 2003
by GTI Graphic Technology, inc.

A lot of discussion on proper lighting and environmental conditions in the digital darkroom have been discussed. Here is a PDF from GTI, the makers of excellent light boxes. It does provide some information from the ISO 3664:2000 standard.

Weekly Chatter:Need for Correct Exposure in RAW
Wednesday November 26, 2003
by weekly chatter

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Soft Proof Tutorial by John Paul Caponigro
Monday November 24, 2003
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro walks the reader through the processes of soft proofing images in Photoshop in this elegant and useful PDF excerpt from his book "Photoshop Master Class". orders placed through John Paul at info@johnpaulcaponigroarts.com receive a free PDF Guide to Getting Good Color.

Weekly Chatter:Photoshop CS - Print with Preview settings
Thursday November 20, 2003
by Imaging Revue Experts and Members

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Greg Gorman's B&W; conversion technique
Tuesday November 18, 2003
by Greg Gorman

Greg Gorman shares with the Imaging Revue subscribers, a technique that finally allows him to shoot color and still get the B&W; effect he desires. Designed by his retoucher Rob Carr, this step-by-step tutorial will show you a great new way to not only convert color to B&W; but add color toning as well! Please refer to the forum thread that got this discussion started.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Site Related > Profile Support > Help me with monitor/Printer profile

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Help me with monitor/Printer profile   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Farid Muakkassa
Posted on Sat Aug 2, 2003 2:54 PM

Before I post my question(s) please note that I am a new commer to this forum, Photoshop 7, color management etc. so please be patient with me. I would like to scan slides, negatives, prints (mostly old family photos) and output them on my Epson 2200 printer. Internet searches got me to your web site and I joined to learn more and get help.
Hardware is custom built Dual Xeon 3.0 GHz system with Matrox Parhelia 128 MB graphic card, Sony GDM-F520 monitor, Microteck ArtixScan 1800f, Epson 2200 etc.
Software is Windows XP Pro, Photoshop 7, Silverfast 6 (scanning).
Problem : I read a lot, got more confused about color management and don't know where to start.
Question 1. Before profiling the printer, I should calibrate the monitor first. Right? If so, is the Adobe Gamma wizard adequate or should I spend the money on Eye-Open Display?
I downloaded the test file (The Digital Dog) and loaded it into Photoshop 7 (selected Discard Embeded Profile). Under Photoshop Edit/color setting/working space I selected the epson profile SP2200 Premium Semigloss_PK (installed by Epson printer driver. The picture looks more on the green, dark side and when printed using Epson Premium Semigloss paper using the setting "Source Space - Untagged RGB, Profile - Same as Source" and No Color Management in the printer driver. The printed output is very close to what I see on the monitor BUT is quite different on what I saw on the monitor in the Print/preview window! In the print preview window the print test file colors are brighter, more natural skin tones with more yellow, pink and lighter blues.
If I open the Printer test file and convert to SP2200 Premium Semiloss_PK color space the picture has the natural skin colors (similar to what I have seen it on my monitor as displayed on the internet on different sites) and when printed using "source space - SP2200 Premium..., Profile - Same as Source" and No Color Management in printer driver, the output is the same on the screen.
Opening the print test file and keeping embeded profile (ColorMatch RGB, the screen display is natural (as when opened using the epson color space) but when printed using the epson Source Space and Profile Same as Source, I get the green, dark colored picture! So the confusion as what to do in sequence to open the three profile files in photoshop and print them to send to you for profiling my printer.
I hope I am making sense!

Any good book on the subject for me to read?

Farid Muakkassa, MD

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

January 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
February 2004
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
16 17

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service