News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Realworld Photoshop CS: Chapter 14
Monday February 16, 2004
by Bruce Fraser

Imaging Revue presents a sneak peak at this unreleased book with Chapter 14 in it's entirety. Enjoy "Building a Digital Workflow: Making Quick Work of Raw Images."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part II - Camera RAW
Monday February 9, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The second in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates improved navigation through Camera Raw.

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part I - File Browser
Friday January 30, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The first in a five part series, Jeff Schewe demonstrates time saving techniques without compromising quality.

Proper Lighting Conditions

Thursday December 18, 2003
by GTI Graphic Technology, inc.

A lot of discussion on proper lighting and environmental conditions in the digital darkroom have been discussed. Here is a PDF from GTI, the makers of excellent light boxes. It does provide some information from the ISO 3664:2000 standard.

Weekly Chatter:Need for Correct Exposure in RAW
Wednesday November 26, 2003
by weekly chatter

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Hardware > System Trouble > Photoshop & Mac OS X Kernel Panic

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Photoshop & Mac OS X Kernel Panic   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Joe Hardesty
Posted on Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:59 PM

For the past 3+ week, I have been experiencing Mac OS X kernel panics while working in Photoshop. That is were the screen goes dim with a message that your only option is a forced shut down of the computer. It is the Mac equivalent of the "Blue Screen of Death". Here are the details:

Mac dual 1.25GB G4
2 GB RAM (all Apple)
Mac OS X 10.2.6
Photoshop 7.0.1
2 external LaCie Firewire Drives
Canon S9000 photo printer
Ethernet network to DSL and networked laser printer

I have experienced as many as 3 kernel panics in one day but I have also gone as long as 3 days without one.

I have talked to Apple tech support several times and we are in the midst of a guessing game. All of the file system checks, with fsck and Disk First Aid, and the Hardware Tests have come up clean.

Now, they have asked me to run without the Firewire drives (where I typically store all images and backups) and S9000 (my only photo output device) connected so we can eliminate those as a potential problems. But since the problem is intermittent, it will take at least a week just determine these are or are not part of the problem.

Apple is trying to blame Photoshop based on the fact that it always happens when I am working in PS7, but the fact is that I am working in PS7 about 95% of the time so that it really not a relevant conclusion to draw. And I have reminded them that one of the inherent advantages of Mac OS X is that no one application is supposed to be able to bring down the system.

Anyone have a clue or similar experiences? I have searched a variety of online resources, including Adobe and Apple, and while there are many references to such problems, I have yet to see a solution offered.

Any help is most appreciated.

Joe

... this thread contains expert advice from Anthony Cardinale, Bruce Fraser, Jeff Schewe and Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

March 2004
S M T W T F S

10 11
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
28 29 30 31      
April 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5
9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Upcoming Events

Photoshop World Conference and Expo
    3/1/04 at 12:00 AM to 3/3/04
Digital Printing for the Fine Art Photographer
    3/5/04 at 9:00 AM to 3/7/04
DIGITAL WORKFLOW, NOT WORKslow (A D-65 Seminar led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    3/9/04 at 6:00 PM
DIGITAL WORKFLOW, NOT WORKslow (A D-65 Seminar led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    3/12/04 at 9:00 AM
MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    3/21/04 at 9:00 AM to 3/27/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service