News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Photo Filters to the Rescue
Monday November 3, 2003
by Katrin Eismann

The Photoshop Diva takes an in depth look at the new Photoshop CS Photo Filters and shows how to use this new feature to improve your images.

Weekly Chatter:X-Rite DTP41
Tuesday October 28, 2003
by Weekly chatter

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Photoshop CS CMS features.
Monday October 27, 2003
by Ian Lyons

Ian Lyons takes us on a tour of Photoshop's color settings and looks at the newer changes found in Photoshop CS. Along the way, learn all about color management in this PDF.

Weekly Chatter:RAW Preview Settings
Saturday October 25, 2003
by Imaging Revue Experts and Members

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Photoshop CS New Document features.
Monday October 20, 2003
by Ian Lyons

Ian Lyons goes into much greater detail on the new features found in Photoshop CS's "New Document" dialog. So you thought there wasn't much to this command but wait until you see how Adobe has tweaked your options. Ian shows you all you need to know!

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Scanners > Recommendation & Opinion > 4x5 film scanner

Please Login

AuthorSubject: 4x5 film scanner   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Richard Worley
Posted on Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:24 PM

I have a Nikon 4000 for scanning my 35mm and an Epson 3200 for scanning my large format 4x5 film, but I am under-impressed with my Epson 3200, because I keep getting what look like Newton rings from my 4x5 film scans (I am using their film holder, which supposedly elevates the film above the glass, so I don't know how I am getting Newton rings, though I can actually see the the rings on the transparency adapter unit, which might just be a defect in my individual scanner. It is my understanding that when using the transparency adapter the transmission path is through the adapter unit? can that be?). Anyway, I am going to try gel mounting on the 3200, just as soon as Mac writes an article on it, but I am also wondering what the other alternatives are and would appreciate your thoughts.

Currently, What I see in the market as alternatives is Microtek's ArtixScan 1800f and ArtixScan 2500f, Imacon's Flextight 646 or the 846 or a used Drum Scanner. I came so close to purchasing an ArtixScan 2500, but decided I would hold off and do some more research.

I don't care so much about volume; I am willing to spend days on each image to get everything just right. I am somewhat price sensitive, though I am willing to spend what it takes to get a high end scan, but I don't want to pay $19,000 and discover that the $400 Epson 3200 makes scans that are so close in quality that the additional money would be better spent somewhere else. Here is what I have found about each of the aforementioned scanners:

ArtixScan 1800f: No glass to get in the way when scanning film. The holders look OK, but are not great. 1800 dpi optical resolution. 4.6 maximum optical density (I guess this is supposed to be similar to DMax?, Which I thought only went to a maximum value of 4) and it achieves this with multiple passes. Price is about $1,400 (at B&H;)

ArtixScan 2500f: Again, no glass to get in the way, has a 3d anti vibration system, a CCD Cooling System, 4.4 Maximum Optical Density, single pass scanning, 14 bits per color channel, fixed focus, a 2500 optical density over a 4" band and 1,250 for the full bed. It costs about $2,800 (at B&H;)

Imacon Flextight 646: 6300dpi optical resolution, "Virtual Drum," 16 bit color, 4.6Dmax single pass scan, Autofocus and no active CCD cooling. $14,000 (at B&H;).

Imacon Flextight 846: 8000 dpi optical, "Virtual Drum," 16 bit color, 4.8 Dmax single pass scan, auto focus and active cooling. I think about $19,000. I read on article on their website which claims that the Imacon's 8000 dpi can get more info out of film than an 8000dpi drum scanner. I am skeptical. I thought that wet mounting was THE way to go, and that these Imacons can't make up for not wet mounting...?

A used drum scanner. Wet mounting and concerned about long term durability and support and, from what I understand, drum scanners require a lot of drum scanning specific skills, and unless you make a large commitment to learning this skill set, you won't get good scans out of a drum scanner.

It is so hard to make a decision with out test driving these scanners...., so I am relying on your input. Thanks!

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney and Jeff Schewe.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

November 2003
S M T W T F S

2 3 4 5 6 7
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
December 2003
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31      

Upcoming Events

D-65 Digital Workshop - Miami
    11/8/03 to 11/15/03 - 5:00 PM

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service