News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Proper Lighting Conditions
Thanks to GTI, this PDF shows some common specifications that are included in the ISO 3664:2000 guidelines.

Thursday December 18, 2003
by GTI Graphic Technology, inc.

A lot of discussion on proper lighting and environmental conditions in the digital darkroom have been discussed. Here is a PDF from GTI, the makers of excellent light boxes. It does provide some information from the ISO 3664:2000 standard.

Weekly Chatter:Need for Correct Exposure in RAW
Wednesday November 26, 2003
by weekly chatter

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Soft Proof Tutorial by John Paul Caponigro
Monday November 24, 2003
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro walks the reader through the processes of soft proofing images in Photoshop in this elegant and useful PDF excerpt from his book "Photoshop Master Class". orders placed through John Paul at info@johnpaulcaponigroarts.com receive a free PDF Guide to Getting Good Color.

Weekly Chatter:Photoshop CS - Print with Preview settings
Thursday November 20, 2003
by Imaging Revue Experts and Members

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Greg Gorman's B&W; conversion technique
Tuesday November 18, 2003
by Greg Gorman

Greg Gorman shares with the Imaging Revue subscribers, a technique that finally allows him to shoot color and still get the B&W; effect he desires. Designed by his retoucher Rob Carr, this step-by-step tutorial will show you a great new way to not only convert color to B&W; but add color toning as well! Please refer to the forum thread that got this discussion started.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Color Management/WorkFlow > Hardware and Software > Camera profiles via the Digital Dog method

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Camera profiles via the Digital Dog method   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Allen Pacheco
Posted on Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:27 PM

Some time ago, I came across Andrew's Digital Dog site to read the color management articles and one of them stuck with me. The one titled titled "Using Photoshop 6/7 to create custom camera profiles." At the time I was using Canon's D30 and after playing with the method a bit I abandoned it. My results were not worth writing home about. I noticed that the article showed up on this site as one of the first few selected.

Well, now I'm using the 10D so I got interested in pursuing this a bit again. I often use Capture One and I wanted to improve one of their generic profiles which seems to be color challenged as far as handling neutrals. They have a fondness for the color blue even where it ain't supposed to be. Shows up in prints in particular and why use a custom print profile if the camera profile is hell bent on messing things up? No, it's not the camera...it is really the profile.

Andrew's article demonstrates how to modify an existing RGB working space in Photoshop. As he mentions, "while it is not a substitute for a true, stand alone camera profile packages, this tutorial is helpful for those users who's camera may capture into an "established" Working Space (sRGB) but may need modifications to produce closer, more accurate color."

So, I experimented a bit and got something that at least is well behaved in that R=G=B when it is supposed to. There is some color modification but nothing really drastic.
The same post-processing adjustments I had to do before still hold true. I used a utility that is meant to handle display profiles, not camera's, but it opened the generic and sort of "reduced" the profile down to exactly the parameters that Andrew's method requires.

I'd like to know if there are any drawbacks to using this technique. I know it is not a real camera profile and I'm not arguing that it is a great replacement for one.
But for my usage it doesn't seem to demonstrate any problems with tonality, soft-proofing, and display/printing.
What can the potential pitfalls be?

... this thread contains expert advice from Bruce Fraser.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

January 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
25 26
February 2004
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
16 17

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service