News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Proper Lighting Conditions
Thanks to GTI, this PDF shows some common specifications that are included in the ISO 3664:2000 guidelines.

Thursday December 18, 2003
by GTI Graphic Technology, inc.

A lot of discussion on proper lighting and environmental conditions in the digital darkroom have been discussed. Here is a PDF from GTI, the makers of excellent light boxes. It does provide some information from the ISO 3664:2000 standard.

Weekly Chatter:Need for Correct Exposure in RAW
Wednesday November 26, 2003
by weekly chatter

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Soft Proof Tutorial by John Paul Caponigro
Monday November 24, 2003
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro walks the reader through the processes of soft proofing images in Photoshop in this elegant and useful PDF excerpt from his book "Photoshop Master Class". orders placed through John Paul at info@johnpaulcaponigroarts.com receive a free PDF Guide to Getting Good Color.

Weekly Chatter:Photoshop CS - Print with Preview settings
Thursday November 20, 2003
by Imaging Revue Experts and Members

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Greg Gorman's B&W; conversion technique
Tuesday November 18, 2003
by Greg Gorman

Greg Gorman shares with the Imaging Revue subscribers, a technique that finally allows him to shoot color and still get the B&W; effect he desires. Designed by his retoucher Rob Carr, this step-by-step tutorial will show you a great new way to not only convert color to B&W; but add color toning as well! Please refer to the forum thread that got this discussion started.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Color Management/WorkFlow > Hardware and Software > i1 Profiling of ImagePrint

Please Login

AuthorSubject: i1 Profiling of ImagePrint   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Micah Diamond
Posted on Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:28 PM

I am trying to figure out the best way to use the Gretag Macbeth i1 with Profile Maker 4.1.5 to create custom .icc color profiles for use with ImagePrint 5.5 (for my Epson 2200 inkjet printer)...

At this point, what I've done to create my own ImagePrint custom profiles is basically the same as I used to do with the Epson RIP - by simply disabling all embedded and printer profiles so that I am able to print out a totally 'color-management-free' target for use with the i1 and Profile Maker.

In ImagePrint, I make sure that in the system tab of the color management window, there is no printer profile selected, so that it reads 'Select Printer Profile...'; then in the bitmap tab of ImagePrint's Color Management window, I make sure that next to the embedded profile, I choose 'ignore' (which I am assuming is correct because if I were to choose 'apply', it would add the rendering intent - either perceptual or relative colormetric - to the image...or perhaps this doesn't matter as it has no embedded profile to begin with)...anyway, once all these settings are correct and I have chosen my proper ink type, paper size and output resolution, I print the un-color-managed target, let it sit and dry for several hours (just to be safe) then open profile maker and make the printer profile based on the target that I just printed.

This seems to have worked just fine for me, and indeed is producing a profile that almost 95% of the time, outputs a much better print than I would have gotten with the default profile, but there's a catch and here is my question...

For some reason, if I have an image that has deeply saturated red colors, the default ImagePrint profiles for tungsten (i.e... _ETUNG) always produce much better reds than the profile I created?? Not really sure why this is, or how I can fix this issue...I am not too accustomed to using Profile Editor to make alterations to existing profiles, but I am assuming that this app is somehow capable of adjusting my newly created ImagePrint profile to help me achieve the results I am looking for, regardless of what colors the images I am printing contain.

How would I go about using profile editor to adjust the ImagePrint profile so that it produces the same reds that I see out of the default colorbyte tungsten profiles?

Also, one of my favorite papers to print on is Hahnemuehle PhotoRag 316gsm...this paper is a fine art paper and warrants being used with the matte black inks, but the thing is that the images I print always look low contrast with no black point value, and also look highly under-saturated (even with my custom i1 profile)...my temp fix has been to adjust the image in photoshop for the output by adding a levels adjustment layer and changing the black point value to about 9, and also adding a hue/saturation adjustment layer and adding 10-15 points of saturation. I know this is not the ideal method, and its another question I have as far as how would I go about setting up a profile to accommodate this issue (low contrast and under-saturated that is)?? Any help that anyone might be able to lend me here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

January 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
25 26
February 2004
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
16 17

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service