News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

PDF Presentations
Thursday March 11, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro discusses an under-used feature of Photoshop. Allowing you to use the automate function to create universally viewable PDF slideshows!

Black and White Conversion
Monday March 8, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

A outline of Black and White conversions as well as a free Photoshop Action.

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part III - White Balance
Monday March 8, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

Third in a five part series, Jeff Schewe demonstrates how to achieve an accurate White Balance when using Camera Raw.

Realworld Photoshop CS: Chapter 14
Monday February 16, 2004
by Bruce Fraser

Imaging Revue presents a sneak peak at this unreleased book with Chapter 14 in it's entirety. Enjoy "Building a Digital Workflow: Making Quick Work of Raw Images."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part II - Camera RAW
Monday February 9, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The second in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates improved navigation through Camera Raw.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Color Management/WorkFlow > Hardware and Software > Problems with Printer Profiling

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Problems with Printer Profiling   [Go to Bottom of Page]
TY Tan
Posted on Thu Nov 6, 2003 11:40 PM

hi,

this could be a bit lengthy but please bear with me, i need to give you some history information...

monitor: Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB (22")...calibrated with the Gretagmacbeth's Eye-One spectrophotometer (without UV cut filter), using the Match software v2.0.3, to 6500K, 1.8 gamma

printer: Fuji Pictrography PG4500 printer...calibrated and profiled using Monaco Systems' PROFILER software. The number of color patches printed for the profiling was the maximum (1728 patches). Color patches were read with the Eye-One spectrophotometer (without UV cut filter). Profile generated with a LUT of 33x33, using Perceptual intent.

printing: i'm using Photoshop 7.0.1 on a Mac G4 dual 1 Ghz (mirrored) desktop. i apply the printer profile in photoshop using 'convert to profile'. my RGB color space is Adobe RGB (1998). conversion intent is set to Perceptual, and the engine set to Adobe(ACE). i've checked both Use BPC and Use Dither. i then export to the PG4500 export module. in the PG4500 print window, the gray field is 1.8/6500, all other fields are turned off.

viewing: Prints made from the pictrography printer are viewed with a GTI D50 PDV with dimmer.

OUTCOME: the profile that was generated by the Profiler software does not seemed to be accurate. the prints look to have a magenta tinge to it when compared with what i see on the monitor.

now, i was just reading about softproofing in photoshop 7. i set my 'custom' proof setup as follows: for profile, i set it to the printer profile generated by Profiler. for intent, it is Perceptual (because that's the intent i use for 'convert to profile'). i turn on Use PBC, and i also check Paper White and Ink Black.

here's a question, am i supposed to compare my print (viewed under D50 lighting) to this proof preview, or to the original Adobe RGB (1998) image?

in any case, the print matches closer to the proof preview onscreen than the original 'non-proof' image onscreen, but it still has that slight magenta tinge/cast to it.

someone mentioned that this could be due to the fact my monitor is 6500K while i'm viewing my prints under D50 conditions. i then switched to 6500K lamps for my viewer. still there was no close match. in fact, the prints don't seemed to look too different under the 5000K and 6500K lamps.

there's more, but we're nearly there. i have an Apple titanium notebook (15"), which i calibrated with the Eye-One, also to 6500K. i then proceeded to open the same photoshop image file on my desktop monitor and on the notebook. the colors are different on both screens. the one on the
notebook looks a little more magenta, while on the Diamond Pro monitor looks a little more green and yellow. and it seems that the print from the pictrography matches the titanium notebook screen closer than on the Diamond Pro monitor....though still not a close match, but closer than the Diamond Pro. And this is making me unsure if my Diamond Pro monitor is encountering any problems with color that i'm not aware of. i've calibrated my Diamond Pro monitor several times, just to make sure that i've not made any missteps during the process.

ok, that's it. thanks for the patience.

any suggestions, or explanations?

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

March 2004
S M T W T F S

10 11
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
April 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Upcoming Events

MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    3/21/04 at 9:00 AM to 3/27/04
I3 forum
    3/28/04 at 5:30 PM to 3/30/04
MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    4/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/24/04
Seybold Amsterdam 2004
    4/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/21/04
The Digital Portfolio, (at John Paul Caponigro's studio, Maine)
    4/19/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/23/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service