<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Creating Panoramas
Monday May 10, 2004
by Ellen Anon

Ellen Anon illustrates the creation of Panoramas in Photoshop.

Working with Pressure Sensitive Tablets
Monday May 3, 2004
by Katrin Eismann

Katrin Eismann outlines the use of pressure sensitive tablets in image processing.

Book Review: Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging(Updated)
Monday April 26, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Peter K. Burian's latest book, "Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part IV - Batch
Thursday April 1, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The fourth in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates the application of settings from one image to a series of images within Photoshop.

PDF Presentations
Thursday March 11, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro discusses an under-used feature of Photoshop. Allowing you to use the automate function to create universally viewable PDF slideshows!

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Software > Inside Photoshop > File Browser to the rescu

Please Login

AuthorSubject: File Browser to the rescu   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Nick Walker
Posted on Sun Nov 9, 2003 6:10 AM

Prior to Photoshop CS, captioning 16 bit Tiff files from within beige folders, even using actions, was no fun. However it was the only labour saving method to embed caption info which would hold true and be visible under Photoshop’s file format when viewed across different platforms.

This was not so problematic if the folder only contained images requiring identical caption details. However at the end of a 12 hour golf shoot with some 30 - 40 different players to caption it was a different ball game.

Fotostation Pro, my favourite catalogue software for image retrieval, would only allow 16 bit captions, one by one, under edit, text and re-save. Unfortunately not colour management savvy, Fotostation would strip all icc profiles causing unnecessary re-profiling.

Nikon Capture 3.5 image transfer added an IPTC feature at the point of raw image transfer from the camera. Great, so I thought, problem solved. Trouble was as soon as the image was converted to a 16 bit Tiff the information vanished.

Another idea, what about Photo Mechanic? My first attempt to multi caption selected 16 bit tiff files from its excellent light box showed up in Photoshop’s file info on the Mac. My problems solved, well not quite! After transferring the mages to Windows XP all caption information had vanished under file info.

Every piece of software thwarted my attempts to hold IPTC data cross the Mac and Windows platform. I really wanted to caption groups of images I could see on the light box with pre saved templates but nothing was working out. Unfortunately using caption file info actions, was still the order of the day until the release of CS.

I have just thoroughly tested Photoshop’s new File Browser using its metadata facility (XMP) and at last all caption data holds true across both platforms. Using Mac OSX 10.2 6 I multi captioned 16 bit Tiff files within the browser burnt them on to a CD and to my delight the metadata appeared under Photoshop 7.01 file info running on Windows XP.

I very much like the fact I can design my File Browser to resemble catalogue software such as Fotostation Pro and save it as a workspace. Moving images within the file browser to cluster them, multi select then apply updated caption details from a pre saved template is a breeze. What’s more I do not require the use of an action any more to first apply basic caption details. Using the IPTC facility in Nikon Capture 3.5.2 (Mac) solves the problem, is extremely quick and less hassle than setting up an action. The information from Nikon's Capture 3.5.2 transfer IPTC holds right the way through on the Mac and PC.

Thank you Adobe as you have made my job a lot easier!

Regards

Nick Walker

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

May 2004
S M T W T F S
2 3 4
11 12
14 15
24 25 26 27
30 31          
June 2004
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Upcoming Events

The ClearFocus Studio
    5/13/04 at 12:00 PM
DIGITAL WORKFLOW, NOT WORKslow (A D-65 workshop led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    5/16/04 at 9:00 AM to 5/22/04
Article - Tutorial
    5/17/04 at 5:00 PM
Photo Imaging World 2004
    5/21/04 at 9:00 AM to 5/23/04
Article - Tutorial
    5/21/04 at 5:00 PM

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright ©2002-2003
Imaging Revue and Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service