News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

PDF Presentations
Thursday March 11, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro discusses an under-used feature of Photoshop. Allowing you to use the automate function to create universally viewable PDF slideshows!

Black and White Conversion
Monday March 8, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

A outline of Black and White conversions as well as a free Photoshop Action.

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part III - White Balance
Monday March 8, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

Third in a five part series, Jeff Schewe demonstrates how to achieve an accurate White Balance when using Camera Raw.

Realworld Photoshop CS: Chapter 14
Monday February 16, 2004
by Bruce Fraser

Imaging Revue presents a sneak peak at this unreleased book with Chapter 14 in it's entirety. Enjoy "Building a Digital Workflow: Making Quick Work of Raw Images."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part II - Camera RAW
Monday February 9, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The second in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates improved navigation through Camera Raw.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Color Management/WorkFlow > Workflow > To much contrast on Epson Preimium Glossy

Please Login

AuthorSubject: To much contrast on Epson Preimium Glossy   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Craig Smith
Posted on Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:36 AM

I am just beginning to start doing my own prints and have a couple of questions that I hope you all can help with.

First here is my set up.

Epson Stylus Pro 7600 Ultrachrome, Photo Black set up
Windows 2000 (service pack 4)
Photoshop 7
Polaroid Sprint Scan 4000 Plus
Almost all my work is from scanned 35mm slides

Here is the problem.

When printing onto Epson Premium Glossy Paper the darker reagions of the image (blacks and dark blues) appear to be over saturated. The problem is significantly reduced when printing onto Premioun Luster paper.

When viewed from certain angles under incandescent lighting and to some extent even in under natural lighting conditions there are harsh even abrupt ink transitions that effect the entire dark area. They are not nocticable when viewed head on. I shoot images with lots of contrast in them and work pretty hard in PS to balance the overall exposure. Note I am not having any problem with color reproduction. What I see on my screen is very close to what I get on my prints. The overall exposure of the prints is also good. The transitions in the darker regions just seem a little harsh and uneven.

I am using the following work flow.

Open photoshop, set soft proof to use Bill Atkinsons PGL2v3 ICC profile

Open the Image and size as needed

Print with Preview
Select Color Management
Source space: Adobe1998. This is the space the image was created in.
Proof set up: Atkinsons PGL2v3 ICC profile
Print Source:Atkinsons PGL2v3 ICC profile
Black point compensation is selected
Rendering is perceptual. I have used relative and it has the same problem. My untrained eye tellse there is no diference between the two seetings, at least for the image that I have been using for all my tests.

Select Print and set up the Epson Printer Driver as follows
Paper: Premium Glossy Photo
DPI: 2880, fast print off, fine detail on
No Color management
Hit Print

I have tried a number of different things but what seems to work best is reducing the color density by 5-10% under page config under the aforementioned setup.

First am I doing something wrong? Assuming I am not, are the Atkinson profiles the best to use. I have read a thread somewhere on this site that seemed to suggest that his profiles although good could be better in how they handle darker regions in prints. Are any better profiles available to solve this problem? Should I have one custom made to solve the problem?

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much background as possible so as to not waste your time.

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

March 2004
S M T W T F S

10 11
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
April 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Upcoming Events

MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    3/21/04 at 9:00 AM to 3/27/04
I3 forum
    3/28/04 at 5:30 PM to 3/30/04
MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    4/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/24/04
Seybold Amsterdam 2004
    4/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/21/04
The Digital Portfolio, (at John Paul Caponigro's studio, Maine)
    4/19/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/23/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service