News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

PDF Presentations
Thursday March 11, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro discusses an under-used feature of Photoshop. Allowing you to use the automate function to create universally viewable PDF slideshows!

Black and White Conversion
Monday March 8, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

A outline of Black and White conversions as well as a free Photoshop Action.

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part III - White Balance
Monday March 8, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

Third in a five part series, Jeff Schewe demonstrates how to achieve an accurate White Balance when using Camera Raw.

Realworld Photoshop CS: Chapter 14
Monday February 16, 2004
by Bruce Fraser

Imaging Revue presents a sneak peak at this unreleased book with Chapter 14 in it's entirety. Enjoy "Building a Digital Workflow: Making Quick Work of Raw Images."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part II - Camera RAW
Monday February 9, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The second in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates improved navigation through Camera Raw.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Color Management/WorkFlow > Workflow > ImagePrint, Alternative Workflow for Previews

Please Login

AuthorSubject: ImagePrint, Alternative Workflow for Previews   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Bryan Whitney
Posted on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:56 PM

Hi All,

I would like to put forth some questions about the workflow that everyone seems to use to achieve a good looking print in ImagePrint and to ask if there might, just might, be another way.

As one becomes aware in researching the solution for the flat shadows values in printing an image straight from photoshop (where it looks just perfect) the standard approach is to soft proof the image with the IP profile and then tweak the image to compress the shadows to a satisfactory point (for color) or use a custom dot gain - or custom curve- to preview a black and white image, tweaking here as well. You wind up with a file that basically is specifically purposed for IP: if you flatten it, it will be too dark to view in Pshop or another program, or you have to open the layered file and turn of the tweak layers, or, view the file using a custom dot gain and so on, all of which is not feasable if you are handing off the file to someone not privy to your custom color tweaking setup.

Having come from printing with the Epson software, where the print seemed to match the monitor image very closely without all this tweakiness (how did they do it??) , my simpleton mind wonders: why can't the profile in IP just reflect a higher contrast in the shadows??? This is, after all, fairly expensive software, and you would think that including a few more profiles that would more closely match the photoshop view, and print similar to that view, would be possible.

I am reminded of Joe Holmes Ektaspace where he offers a number of output conversion options based on the saturation of the file, so that it can be mapped accurately to smaller color spaces. So why not profiles for IP that give you +1, +2 or +3 more degrees of shadow compression? Verily no one seems to complain of plugged shadows in IP and it seems most all are compressing the shadow detail to achieve the (Snappy TM) look they get in Pshop. Oui?

Or is this outside the realm of the possible? It just seems to me that (to the degree possible) the print profiles should be constructed to match the calibrated photoshop view, as opposed to the photoshop file being tweaked to compensate for the printing output. I'm sorry... I told you that I a simpleton!

Alternatively, IP has tone and contrast controls in the non-lite version, and also the black point slider, yet this seems to be disparaged by all, even though the black point slider was probably put in by IP because of this flat shadow issue.

Thanks for your view!

Bryan Whitney

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

March 2004
S M T W T F S

10 11
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
April 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Upcoming Events

MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    3/21/04 at 9:00 AM to 3/27/04
I3 forum
    3/28/04 at 5:30 PM to 3/30/04
MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    4/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/24/04
Seybold Amsterdam 2004
    4/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/21/04
The Digital Portfolio, (at John Paul Caponigro's studio, Maine)
    4/19/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/23/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service