<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Creating Panoramas
Monday May 10, 2004
by Ellen Anon

Ellen Anon illustrates the creation of Panoramas in Photoshop.

Working with Pressure Sensitive Tablets
Monday May 3, 2004
by Katrin Eismann

Katrin Eismann outlines the use of pressure sensitive tablets in image processing.

Book Review: Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging(Updated)
Monday April 26, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Peter K. Burian's latest book, "Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part IV - Batch
Thursday April 1, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The fourth in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates the application of settings from one image to a series of images within Photoshop.

PDF Presentations
Thursday March 11, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro discusses an under-used feature of Photoshop. Allowing you to use the automate function to create universally viewable PDF slideshows!

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Software > Inside Photoshop > Using the shadow/highlight adj to make a mask

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Using the shadow/highlight adj to make a mask   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Richard Marcellus
Posted on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:28 PM

I have been playing with the new shadow/highlight image adjustment in PSCS and I really like it. The main things that I thought were lacking with this adjustment was the ability to have the alteration on a layer and the ability to change the colour balance of the selected areas.

I have found a bit of a work around that I thought others might be interested in.

1. I duplicate my background layer twice then apply the shadow/highlight adjustment on the uppermost layer and change the blending mode of this layer to difference.

2. I hide the bottom background layer, and merge the two visible layers (the two new layers) to create the image that will become my mask. The contrast can be altered on this layer if desired with a curves or levels adjustment.

3. I reveal my background layer again and add an adjustment layer such as curves.

4. I select my merged "mask layer" (ctrl/command click the layer icon) and paste it into the curves mask (click on the adj layer, go to the channels palette, click on curves 1 mask, then ctrl/command-v to paste).

5. Back in the layers palette I hide the "mask layer" then go into my curves adjustment layer and can now increase or decrease the brightness of the shadowed regions and also perform colour corrections on these regions without affecting the brighter parts of the image. This could be used to get the blue cast out of shadows for example.

The process is more work that a simple shadow/highlight adjustment, but does allow more flexibility, and provides the option of performing additional manipulations on the shadowed (or highlighted) areas of the image. Any suggestions for improvements to this technique would be welcomed.

Regards,

Richard

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

May 2004
S M T W T F S
2 3 4
11 12
14 15
24 25 26 27
30 31          
June 2004
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Upcoming Events

The ClearFocus Studio
    5/13/04 at 12:00 PM
DIGITAL WORKFLOW, NOT WORKslow (A D-65 workshop led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    5/16/04 at 9:00 AM to 5/22/04
Article - Tutorial
    5/17/04 at 5:00 PM
Photo Imaging World 2004
    5/21/04 at 9:00 AM to 5/23/04
Article - Tutorial
    5/21/04 at 5:00 PM

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service