News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

PDF Presentations
Thursday March 11, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro discusses an under-used feature of Photoshop. Allowing you to use the automate function to create universally viewable PDF slideshows!

Black and White Conversion
Monday March 8, 2004
by John Paul Caponigro

A outline of Black and White conversions as well as a free Photoshop Action.

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part III - White Balance
Monday March 8, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

Third in a five part series, Jeff Schewe demonstrates how to achieve an accurate White Balance when using Camera Raw.

Realworld Photoshop CS: Chapter 14
Monday February 16, 2004
by Bruce Fraser

Imaging Revue presents a sneak peak at this unreleased book with Chapter 14 in it's entirety. Enjoy "Building a Digital Workflow: Making Quick Work of Raw Images."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part II - Camera RAW
Monday February 9, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The second in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates improved navigation through Camera Raw.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Hardware > System Trouble > Brains vs. Beauty (Mac vs. Windows

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Brains vs. Beauty (Mac vs. Windows   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Stephen Kennedy
Posted on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:53 PM

This time last year I had a circa 1996 Umax Mac clone and a 4 year old Windows 98 machine. My how things have changed in less than a year. Two Powerbooks, a DP G4, 20" Cinema Display and a custom made XP Windows box running dual LCD monitors all linked together in a lovely hard wired network. Not to mention all the fancy software and Epson printers. A veritable United Nations of technology working hard for me.

But here's what's killing me. The Windows world is way too techie and complicated and the Mac stuff, despite its beauty, just acts arrogant and sometimes stupid.

The examples I'm citing are either the fault of the respective manufacturers or my lack of computer training and savvy. Or just not obvious enough to make sense to a guy that uses it every day.

Mac Issues:

It's all about the mouse! I would love to do on the Mac what I can do in Windows such as these difficult tasks; Tabbing between active applications and turning off the computer. Can a Mac not be turned off without using a mouse?

Disk Burning: The CD/DVD burning within the Panther OS is so lame. The Mac gurus I know said to get Toast. 75 bucks later, and I still can't burn multiple copies of the same disk! That's not supported, says Roxio. The free disk buring app that came with my DVD burner, Nero, is way better than Toast and it was free. Want multiples disks burned, select the number of copies just like a printer.

Windows Issues:

Plug and play my ass: Everything needs some gee whiz driver that is never "Microsoft Approved" yet somehow still manages to work after frightening the bejeebers out of my during install.

Virus prevention: Every dirt-head slacker on each continent has an ax to grind with Bill Gates and thinks it's neat to rip him via my computer. I've spent a boatload of time and a tidy sum on virus protection and firewall to keep these rogues from noodling around in my business.

Appearance and interface: Just plain ugly.

Am I asking for too much?

Stephen Kennedy

... this thread contains 4 more post(s).

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

March 2004
S M T W T F S

10 11
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
April 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Upcoming Events

MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    3/21/04 at 9:00 AM to 3/27/04
I3 forum
    3/28/04 at 5:30 PM to 3/30/04
MAKE YOUR WORKflow (A D-65 event - led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    4/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/24/04
Seybold Amsterdam 2004
    4/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/21/04
The Digital Portfolio, (at John Paul Caponigro's studio, Maine)
    4/19/04 at 9:00 AM to 4/23/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service