News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Proper Lighting Conditions
Thanks to GTI, this PDF shows some common specifications that are included in the ISO 3664:2000 guidelines.

Thursday December 18, 2003
by GTI Graphic Technology, inc.

A lot of discussion on proper lighting and environmental conditions in the digital darkroom have been discussed. Here is a PDF from GTI, the makers of excellent light boxes. It does provide some information from the ISO 3664:2000 standard.

Weekly Chatter:Need for Correct Exposure in RAW
Wednesday November 26, 2003
by weekly chatter

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Soft Proof Tutorial by John Paul Caponigro
Monday November 24, 2003
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro walks the reader through the processes of soft proofing images in Photoshop in this elegant and useful PDF excerpt from his book "Photoshop Master Class". orders placed through John Paul at info@johnpaulcaponigroarts.com receive a free PDF Guide to Getting Good Color.

Weekly Chatter:Photoshop CS - Print with Preview settings
Thursday November 20, 2003
by Imaging Revue Experts and Members

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Greg Gorman's B&W; conversion technique
Tuesday November 18, 2003
by Greg Gorman

Greg Gorman shares with the Imaging Revue subscribers, a technique that finally allows him to shoot color and still get the B&W; effect he desires. Designed by his retoucher Rob Carr, this step-by-step tutorial will show you a great new way to not only convert color to B&W; but add color toning as well! Please refer to the forum thread that got this discussion started.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Hardware > System Trouble > Desktop Picture Bug in Jaguar

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Desktop Picture Bug in Jaguar   [Go to Bottom of Page]
George Middleton
Posted on Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:14 PM Ever since first installing Jaguar on my Power Mac, I noticed a disturbing, albeit minor bug:

Usually, after installing either an Apple system software update or some third-party application, the appearance of the current Desktop Picture would lighten noticeably. At first I thought this might be the result of the display reverting to a different display profile, but when I checked, the chosen profile was still selected.

Concerned that this discrepancy might be affecting the display of image files in Photoshop (and in general), I began to try to figure out the source of this annoying problem.

I decided to take some color measurements using DigitalColor Meter (/Applications/Utilities). Sure enough, after opening System Preferences, Desktop preference pane, and comparing the measurements of the "Current Desktop Picture:" swatch with the desktop itself, the numbers were different! Since I use a solid color background and knew it would be easier to compare results on a solid color, I compared "Solid Grey Dark".

The swatches in the Desktop preference pane measured 76 for Red, Green, and Blue, while the desktop itself measured 95 for each value....

To get to the bottom of this, I first ran my usual repair routine of repairPermissions, fsck -y, and DiskWarrior- no joy.
Then I discovered that while logged in as root or another user, the problem would often disappear. On that basis, I figured a user preference was getting corrupted so I started systematically trashing certain preferences and logging in and out, and then- if no change- restarting the computer.

Eventually, I found the culprit and the solution:

"com.apple.systemuiserver.plist"

After trashing this user preference (located in ~/Library/Preferences) and restarting, there was still no change to the desktop's digital color readings. But when I opened System Preferences, Desktop pane, and switched to another solid color and then back again to 'Solid Grey Dark', voila!- the desktop now looked the same (and measured the same )as the swatches.

I'm not sure if restarting is necessary- perhaps a log out and login is all that's required after deleting the (apparently) corrupted 'com.apple.systemuiserver.plist'.

Among other things, this preference affects the user-activated items in the Menu bar, so if you try this, you will have to reload things like Stuffit Deluxe's MagicMenu.menu, the Eject menu (/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Eject.menu), Script Menu.menu (/Applications/AppleScript/Script Menu.menu), the lock icon for Keychain Access (/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access, View menu: 'Show Status in Menu bar'), and the iChat status icon, which you can activate either from iChat preferences or from /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/iChat.menu. Just double click these items and your previous setup is restored.

Finally, I also took measurements of open image files containing areas of solid color, and was greatly relieved to see that the RGB readings of those solid color areas were the same whether the desktop was in a 'lightened' condition, or repaired to it's familiar correct appearance. In addition, the white areas of Finder windows or text documents were similarly unaffected.

During this troubleshooting process, I was also able to verify this problem regardless of any change in display gamma settings or display profiles. Furthermore, it seems unrelated to Mac model or Display; the same condition existed on my daughter's eMac G41Ghz with a CRT screen, as on my QS733 G4 with an Apple Cinema Display.

While this apparent bug in Jaguar seems relatively minor, it is somewhat annoying from a visual perspective. I was glad to finally be able to fix it!

... this thread contains 2 more post(s).

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

January 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
25 26
February 2004
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
16 17

Upcoming Events

Fotofusion 2004
    1/27/04 at 6:00 AM to 1/31/04
PEI Live! The Conference for Digital Photographers
    2/7/04 at 8:00 AM to 2/10/04
DIGITAL WORKFLOW, NOT WORKslow (PEI Seminar led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    2/7/04 at 1:00 PM
PEI Live! Martin Evening's Photoshop Seminar Presentation
    2/8/04 at 9:00 AM
PEI Live! Panel Discussion Moderated by IR expert Jeff Schewe
    2/8/04 at 3:00 PM

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service