News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Proper Lighting Conditions
Thanks to GTI, this PDF shows some common specifications that are included in the ISO 3664:2000 guidelines.

Thursday December 18, 2003
by GTI Graphic Technology, inc.

A lot of discussion on proper lighting and environmental conditions in the digital darkroom have been discussed. Here is a PDF from GTI, the makers of excellent light boxes. It does provide some information from the ISO 3664:2000 standard.

Weekly Chatter:Need for Correct Exposure in RAW
Wednesday November 26, 2003
by weekly chatter

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Soft Proof Tutorial by John Paul Caponigro
Monday November 24, 2003
by John Paul Caponigro

John Paul Caponigro walks the reader through the processes of soft proofing images in Photoshop in this elegant and useful PDF excerpt from his book "Photoshop Master Class". orders placed through John Paul at info@johnpaulcaponigroarts.com receive a free PDF Guide to Getting Good Color.

Weekly Chatter:Photoshop CS - Print with Preview settings
Thursday November 20, 2003
by Imaging Revue Experts and Members

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Greg Gorman's B&W; conversion technique
Tuesday November 18, 2003
by Greg Gorman

Greg Gorman shares with the Imaging Revue subscribers, a technique that finally allows him to shoot color and still get the B&W; effect he desires. Designed by his retoucher Rob Carr, this step-by-step tutorial will show you a great new way to not only convert color to B&W; but add color toning as well! Please refer to the forum thread that got this discussion started.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Digital Capture > Gear > nikon d-100 vs Fuji S2?

Please Login

AuthorSubject: nikon d-100 vs Fuji S2?   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Peter Frahm
Posted on Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:02 PM Hello,

I've been considering and comparing both the S2 and the D-100 for a while now and am aware of some of the advantages / dis's of both (sorta). Anyone with strong opinions regarding professional use of either?

(please don't say buy a canon 1ds, i have played with this beast and it probably was a mistake cause now everything else seems like a toy, i dont have the cash right now and i'm invested in Nikon lenses.)

A few points i am debating.. please help me before my brain turns into a rice krispy

Interpolation in the Fuji S2...is it as good as they say? i hear good things...are these files usable for quality repro? in this case is interpolation just interpolation, some say it is better because of the pixel structure. is this true?

What can i expect in terms of repro quality..press repro is the main concern, can we get a good quality full page repro from these files? are my expectations to high? (forgive my ignorance in this area but i still shoot and deliver film and black and white prints because most of my clients are ok with that)

Moire from the Fuji s2? is this a consistant problem in challenging situtations, as in..."Sir, could you please remove the elegantly applied, striped face paint, i know the shareholders will be dissappointed, but have you ever heard of MOIRE??!!" ....and, does this problem rear its ugly head as much with the D-100?

Battery issues seem to tick off some Fuji s2 users...not d-100 users though, most d100 folk seem happy in that regard although, in the case of the S2 the availability of double a's seems to be a plus in a pinch.

I've read some complaints regarding the usability of the S2 histogram display, many say it is difficult to see wether or not clipping is occuring beacause the endpoints of the display are tough to interpret...i've compared and it seems that the d-100 has a much more friendly display in this regard...any opinions? are these displays accurate in any practical sense or just a rough indication of where your levels are?

General color issues...a lot of people prefer the snappier color palette on the S2, some go so far as to say it was released with the Velvia look in mind...i would prefer "accurate color"..is the S2 to exaggerated? is the D-100 more accurate or neutral in palette? Obviously, this can be remedied in PS but i would like my files to start out healthy before editing.

all in all it seems like the Fuji S2 was thought out more carefully, in some respects, than the d-100. but i am concerned about color and moire and being able read a histogram with some degree of confidence.

input and opinion and ANY other thoughts regarding these two cameras...ie: workflow, metering accuracy, general tidbits and surprising affections for either of the two.

sincerely,

Peter Frahm

... this thread contains expert advice from Katrin Eismann.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

January 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
25 26
February 2004
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
16 17

Upcoming Events

Fotofusion 2004
    1/27/04 at 6:00 AM to 1/31/04
PEI Live! The Conference for Digital Photographers
    2/7/04 at 8:00 AM to 2/10/04
DIGITAL WORKFLOW, NOT WORKslow (PEI Seminar led by IR expert Seth Resnick)
    2/7/04 at 1:00 PM
PEI Live! Martin Evening's Photoshop Seminar Presentation
    2/8/04 at 9:00 AM
PEI Live! Panel Discussion Moderated by IR expert Jeff Schewe
    2/8/04 at 3:00 PM

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service