<
  News   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Photoshop CS Add Ons From Al Ward.
Monday November 15, 2004
by Al Ward

Al Ward has provided Imaging Revue with Phtoshop CS styles to download. These files are in a zip format and can be opened using both Stuffit and WinZip. For more information about Al please visit www.actionfx.com. Please stay tuned for a future discount for IR members to Al's site.

Profile FAQ And Instruction Manual
Sunday October 31, 2004
by IR Staff

We have compiled a new and up to date Profile FAQ. If you are ordering a printer profile, please make sure that you read the information contained here. Many of the questions you may have will be answered here. These articles are in PDF format.

Patching and Healing with Martin Evening.
Friday October 22, 2004
by Martin Evening

The third in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Healing Brush and Patch Tool. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Nikon Scanning Workflow
Friday October 15, 2004
by Scott Martin

Scott Martin has deciphered Nikon's workflow technology and brings us this quick guide to achieving great scans. For more information on Scott and his work, please visit www.on-sight.com.

Image Adjustments with Martin Evening.
Friday October 8, 2004
by Martin Evening

The second in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Photo Filter and Color Temperature. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Color Management/WorkFlow > Hardware and Software > Problems of RAW scan to Adobe1998 working space

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Problems of RAW scan to Adobe1998 working space   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Paul Thompson
Posted on Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:53 AM

I am using Silverfast to get RAW scans from my 6x7 velvia transparencies. (I am using HDR but having read the archives I'll have a look at using "48bit colour")

I need my tiff files in the Adobe1998 colour space to pass on to my agencies. They must be in this colour space.

The RAW scan histogram looks very good with the white and black points where I want them. Approximately 8 and 248 in each channel.

I then assign my scanner profile. The scan now looks pretty good and just like my transparency. Unfortunately I now need to convert to Adobe1998 which is where the trouble starts.

Once I convert to Adobe 1998 the blacks are severely clipped, particularly in the reds and greens. I have tried Perceptual and now use Relative Colormetric (which seems to not clip quite so much)

I am now left with the reds at say 4, greens often 0 and the blues maybe at 15.

I take it that this is normal and unavoidable as we are squeezing a large "Velvia" gamut of colours into a smaller Adobe1998 gamut?

Assuming I've done everything correctly so far, what is the best method of getting my clipped reds and greens back to around 8?

What I have been doing so far is opening up a curve in the green and red channels, locking down everything above say 14 and changing the 0 to an output of around 8. Then back to the levels and setting the eyedropper at 8 to bring the blues down to get a neutral black.

Does this workflow make any sense? I don't particulaly like the fact that the histogram looks as though it has been shoved along from 0 to 8 in a tall vertical pile (which it has!)

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul

... this thread contains 11 more post(s).

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

January 2005
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          
February 2005
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
27 28          

Upcoming Events

PMA 2005
    2/20/05 at 8:00 AM to 2/23/05
BLACK and WHITE MASTERY with JOHN PAUL CAPONIGRO
    2/21/05 at 9:00 AM to 2/25/05

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright �2002-2004
Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service