<
  News   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Photoshop CS Add Ons From Al Ward.
Monday November 15, 2004
by Al Ward

Al Ward has provided Imaging Revue with Phtoshop CS styles to download. These files are in a zip format and can be opened using both Stuffit and WinZip. For more information about Al please visit www.actionfx.com. Please stay tuned for a future discount for IR members to Al's site.

Profile FAQ And Instruction Manual
Sunday October 31, 2004
by IR Staff

We have compiled a new and up to date Profile FAQ. If you are ordering a printer profile, please make sure that you read the information contained here. Many of the questions you may have will be answered here. These articles are in PDF format.

Patching and Healing with Martin Evening.
Friday October 22, 2004
by Martin Evening

The third in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Healing Brush and Patch Tool. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Nikon Scanning Workflow
Friday October 15, 2004
by Scott Martin

Scott Martin has deciphered Nikon's workflow technology and brings us this quick guide to achieving great scans. For more information on Scott and his work, please visit www.on-sight.com.

Image Adjustments with Martin Evening.
Friday October 8, 2004
by Martin Evening

The second in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Photo Filter and Color Temperature. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Color Management/WorkFlow > Hardware and Software > Help needed -- Proper use of Artisan system

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Help needed -- Proper use of Artisan system   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Martin M.
Posted on Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:45 AM

Please let me thank forum participants in advance for any comments or advice on the following, and especially to Andrew for his help several days ago.

I purchased the Artisan and am delighted with both the accuracy and ease of use. First I'd like to follow-up on several issues we discussed and provide some information that might be useful for you and others. The Luminous Landscape review was wrong when it said that the software doesn't work with PCs with regard to changing the targets on the fly. The most recent software does calibrate on the fly within XP. I double checked that by looking at the color profile selected within color management in the display properties -- it changes on the fly and without rebooting. Also,I can finally see the difference between 0 and 1 in blacks using your Photoshop test. I couldn't do that with my two year old $1500 Sony GDM-F520. The only downside is XP is reporting that the USB connection for the Artisan is preventing the system from entering power management standby. I'll have to play with that and see if I can find a solution, but if that is the only conflict then that is pretty minor IMHO.

Several follow up questions:

(1) The Artisan will work with a monitor extension cord -- I think -- see the next question. I am using a 6' Belkin that is their top of the line for multimedia monitors over 17". It connects to the monitor. I don't know if cheaper cords would work but the Artisan reports successful calbration with this one ($26 from PC Connection).

(2) I am able to see a clear difference between the presets using D50 and D65 -- the change in the white point/temperature is clearly evident.

However, the difference in the following is VERY subtle -- at least on the screen. In some cases I can see a very subtle change in blacks and shadows and in other cases there is almost no difference:

* between gamma 2.2 and the native gamma of the display
* between contrast ratio of 300 versus 500

Is this normal? Is this how the Artisan should be operating?

I'll admit that I haven't tried to print yet -- will the differences be more obvious in prints? Although if the differences on the screen are so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable -- but they are obvious on the print -- what's the point of screen calibration?

I recognize that these VERY subtle differences (between 300 to 500) might be of great concern to professionals -- and you might see these differences more clearly. But it appears to be very subtle in my amateur opinion -- and I just want to know if this is correct calibration on the Artisan. Or maybe the extension cord is an issue? But if it was, then the changes in white temperature would not work or be so evident.

(3) Should you calibrate in an essentially dark room or with one low light burning at the other end of the room? The directions make a technical reference to light level but it is just a specification without any frame of reference (at least for me).

FYI, when I calibrate someone else's monitor using Optical -- should that also be done in a dark room -- despite the fact that we all work with some ambient light. (Actually strong ambient light during the day even with venetian blinds closed.)

In closing, I've read some of the interaction on other sites between Andrew and those who want to argue with you about the Artisan. They're nuts and should listen to you -- it is accurate and offers easy to use features. I've struggled with color management before and am delighted with anything this easy to use. And the very subtle differences in black level (between gamma 2.2 and native monitor gamma) underscores the accuracy of the system.

Thanks again for any responses.

... this thread contains 1 more post(s).

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

January 2005
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          
February 2005
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
27 28          

Upcoming Events

PMA 2005
    2/20/05 at 8:00 AM to 2/23/05
BLACK and WHITE MASTERY with JOHN PAUL CAPONIGRO
    2/21/05 at 9:00 AM to 2/25/05

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright �2002-2004
Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service