<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Getting it Right: Correcting Skin Tones with Hue/Saturation
Wednesday June 9, 2004
by Jon Canfield

Jon Canfield shows us how to achieve accurate skin tones in Photoshop using Hue and Sat.

Book Review: Color Confidence by Tim Grey
Monday May 24, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Tim Grey's new book Color Confidence. Included is an excerpt from the book, Chapter 3, which deals with choosing and calibrating Displays.

Creating Panoramas
Monday May 10, 2004
by Ellen Anon

Ellen Anon illustrates the creation of Panoramas in Photoshop.

Working with Pressure Sensitive Tablets
Monday May 3, 2004
by Katrin Eismann

Katrin Eismann outlines the use of pressure sensitive tablets in image processing.

Book Review: Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging(Updated)
Monday April 26, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Peter K. Burian's latest book, "Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging."

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Printers > Fine Art/Photographic Printing > Best RIP for Mac? IP, BestColor...?

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Best RIP for Mac? IP, BestColor...?   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Bryon McCartney
Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:55 PM

Hello,

I am fairly new here and this is my first question so go easy on me. I have a Mac G4 dual 1Ghz, 1.5 GB Ram, Half a TB of storage, Colorvision Spyder for calibrating my 17" & 22" Cinema Displays, Epson 2100 Printer (I am a Chicagoan in Switzerland, it's the same as the 2200), I am running Panther and I shoot with a Canon 10D and will be upgrading to the 1Ds or the 1D replacement and I use C1 Dslr for converting RAWs. Normally, all my printing is done through PS CS (I am also using OS X Panther), but now and then I need to print from Illustrator and InDesign. I hope that's enough detail about my system.

Question is, what RIP is best? The Pro Photo shops here are pushing Best Color a product from Germany, but I have never seen it mentioned on the other side of the pond, and everyone here at IR seems to be using IP, but that seems to have a lot of cons regarding upgrade policies and customer service from what I have read.

My main goal is to be able to print really high quality images, with consistent results, using a variety of media from Epson to Hanemühle. I need good results in color and superb results in B/W. I considered converting my old Epson 1200 to Piezography, but was recommended against it. A rip would be nice to produce picture packages on roll media and for PostScript printing, and I was told that BestColor can help reduce ink usage, but I am not sure I am buying that one.

I would appreciate some straightforward advice. I am doing commercial and fine art photography and digital imaging for a range of different clients. So I need something flexible but easy as well. I do not want to spend all my time fine-tuning the printing process, I am looking for something 1-2-3 easy to use and that will give me good results.

Kind regards,

Bryon Paul McCartney
Zürich, Swittzerland

... this thread contains expert advice from Andrew Rodney.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

June 2004
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
8 9 10 11 12
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      
July 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
16 17
25 26 27 28 29 30

Upcoming Events

Macworld Conference and Expo
    7/12/04 at 9:00 AM to 7/15/04
Digital Worklfow, Not Workslow, Make your WORKflow (a D-65 Workshop Led by IR Expert, Seth Resnick)
    7/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 7/24/04
JOHN PAUL CAPONIGRO NEW WORK
    7/31/04 at 10:00 AM to 8/8/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright ©2002-2003
Imaging Revue and Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service