<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Book Review: Color Confidence by Tim Grey
Monday May 24, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Tim Grey's new book Color Confidence. Included is an excerpt from the book, Chapter 3, which deals with choosing and calibrating Displays.

Creating Panoramas
Monday May 10, 2004
by Ellen Anon

Ellen Anon illustrates the creation of Panoramas in Photoshop.

Working with Pressure Sensitive Tablets
Monday May 3, 2004
by Katrin Eismann

Katrin Eismann outlines the use of pressure sensitive tablets in image processing.

Book Review: Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging(Updated)
Monday April 26, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Peter K. Burian's latest book, "Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part IV - Batch
Thursday April 1, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The fourth in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates the application of settings from one image to a series of images within Photoshop.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Software > Inside Photoshop > Reducing PSD file size or creating a PDF for press

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Reducing PSD file size or creating a PDF for press   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Fabrice Grover
Posted on Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:34 PM

I am submitting a business card designed in Photoshop CS to Vistaprint.com. My 8bit CMYK PSD file set to their specified physical dimensions and resolution (3.54 x 2.05 at 300dpi) with an embedded profile (U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) V2) is rejected because it is a few bytes over their file size limit of 5MB ("Maximum Allowed Size: 5120 Your Image Size: 5149.3"). There are three layers in the file: a background photo, a text layer, and a text layer with a layer effect.

I would like to reduce the file size while submitting the layout in a format that preserves the vector data of my file. I'm not sure if PSD text layers are sent to the output device as vectors or if they are rasterized first, but I have a feeling PDF files may be the way to go here. I have Adobe Acrobat 6, but I'm new to creating PDFs for press work and am a little overwhelmed by the huge number of available options.

Would someone kindly suggest the best way to create a simple PDF file that preserves the color and vector information in my file? I have tried "save as Adobe PDF" from within Photoshop, and when I open the resulting file it looks very similar to what I seen in Photoshop, but Vistaprint doesn't seem to be able to interpret the file (the Vistaprint server returns an error stating that the "file could not be uploaded because the server is too busy at this time," an error message I never receive when uploading tiffs or PSD files under 5MB). I also tried printing the PSD to PDF using the Print command, but the resulting file displays the image with a strong Magenta cast, no matter which color settings I choose among the PDF options.

My guess is that Vistaprint accepts only very basic PDF files, so I need some way to create a widely compliant file.

Aside from PSD and PDF formats, it seems the only other format Vistaprint accepts that would preserve my fonts as vector lines is the the PostScript .ps format. Is this a viable option for press work? I'm not sure what happens to the profile information when I save to PostScript.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Vistaprint doesn't seem to answer their e-mails, so I may give up attempting to find workarounds for the idiosyncrasies of their system in favour of the support available from a local print shop.

... this thread contains expert advice from Jeff Schewe.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

May 2004
S M T W T F S
2 3 4
11 12
14 15
25 26 27 28 29

June 2004
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
8 9 10 11 12
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Upcoming Events

Article
    6/7/04 at 5:00 PM
Digital Worklfow, Not Workslow, Make your WORKflow (a D-65 Workshop Led by IR Expert, Seth Resnick)
    6/13/04 at 9:00 AM to 6/19/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright 2002-2003
Imaging Revue and Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service