<
  News   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Profile FAQ And Instruction Manual
Sunday October 31, 2004
by IR Staff

We have compiled a new and up to date Profile FAQ. If you are ordering a printer profile, please make sure that you read the information contained here. Many of the questions you may have will be answered here. These articles are in PDF format.

Patching and Healing with Martin Evening.
Friday October 22, 2004
by Martin Evening

The third in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Healing Brush and Patch Tool. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Nikon Scanning Workflow
Friday October 15, 2004
by Scott Martin

Scott Martin has deciphered Nikon's workflow technology and brings us this quick guide to achieving great scans. For more information on Scott and his work, please visit www.on-sight.com.

Image Adjustments with Martin Evening.
Friday October 8, 2004
by Martin Evening

The second in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Photo Filter and Color Temperature. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Weekly Chatter:Monitor Recommendation
Wednesday October 6, 2004
by Imaging Revue Experts and Staff

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available in our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list. This thread contains some great information regarding the Sony Artisan and also touches on the LCD vs. CRT debate. If you are having some trouble with Artisan calibration, there are some helpful comments here. Jon Kulas

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Printers > Fine Art/Photographic Printing > New Epson R800 ships with bad custom profiles?

Please Login

AuthorSubject: New Epson R800 ships with bad custom profiles?   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Bogdan Urma
Posted on Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:46 PM

Picked up a new R800 last night. Installed the latest drivers for Max OS X 10.3.2 from Epson's website and then the ICC profiles for the different papers from the Epson CD that shipped with the printer. All OK thus far.
No rocket science here.

Tried printing with the Epson profiles and realized really fast that something is up. *ALL* my images (even tried some sRGB images I have since they have a smaller gamut) seem to print with some colors blocking up/smearing, indicating out of gammut, right?!!

So I proceeded to do some custom proofing in PS CS using each of the supplied custom profiles (SPR800 Enhanced Matte BstPhoto, SPR800 Premium Glossy BstPhoto, etc.) for each image. And for each I get blocked/smeared colors in some places, as if the gamut of the R800 is so small it can't handle the colors from an sRGB 8bit TIFF! And these aren't even strong or intense colors. And these were sRGB files!!

I find it hard to believe that the gamut of the R800 is smaller that a Frontier which can print my files just fine. So I'm at a loss as to what's going on. The only thing I can see is that the profiles are wrong! I did run the ColorSync "Profile First Aid" and they appear correct - i.e. no errors. Certainly it should be able to print sRGB files w/o out of gammut color blocking/smearing. No?

I tried everything from Relative Colorimetric to Perceptual, etc. I made sure not do "double" color manage when printing, etc. I'm pretty sure it's not a user mistake. Besides, forget the actual printing - the soft proofing is all that matters! That's a no-brainer to do and see. And so I'm at a loss, like I said above. I could understand a file with a strong red, etc. that would be out of the R800's gamut. So I'd reduce it somehow, etc. But ALL my *sRGB* files having issues somewhere? Bizarre and annoying!

Most importantly I found out that the "Standard" R800 profiles that ship (i.e. SPR800 Matte Paper & SPR800 Standard) do NOT show out of gammut problems. The images look absolutely fine when softproofing with them. But when printing with them on the "fancy" papers I get crap (of course). But this is interesting in that it does confirm the obvious (that my sRGB files are not in a gamut that is larger than the R800's gamut).

So what do the experts make of this? I know there must be some with the R800. Are my profiles messed up? How could that be? Is there something else at play? I can't imagine what?

Help! I'm driving myself crazy over something that need not be complicated at all. I've checking this and that, but in the end it's all about softproofing and the profiles. And the trouble starts there.

Thanks,
Bogdan

... this thread contains 17 more post(s).

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

November 2004
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5
12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
December 2004
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright �2002-2004
Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service