<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Weekly Chatter:Feedback on the Epson 4000
Monday July 19, 2004
by Imaging Revue Experts and Staff

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

Weekly Chatter:Nikon 5000 experience???
Monday July 12, 2004
by Imaging Revue Experts and Staff.

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available within our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list!

8 Megapixel vs 6 Megapixel SLR Cameras
Wednesday July 7, 2004
by Peter K. Burian

Peter Burian compares 8 megapixel and 6 megapixel digital SLR cameras in his latest article.

Profile Maker 5.0
Monday June 28, 2004
by Bruce Fraser

Bruce Fraser gives us his expert critique of GretagMacbeth's professional color management suite - ProfileMaker 5.0.

Getting it Right: Correcting Skin Tones with Hue/Saturation
Wednesday June 9, 2004
by Jon Canfield

Jon Canfield shows us how to achieve accurate skin tones in Photoshop using Hue and Sat.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Software > Restoration and Retouching > Early Restoration Work Flow

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Early Restoration Work Flow   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Steve Fisk
Posted on Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:12 PM

I am relatively new to doing photo restoration as a business so I am still in a learning curve. Clients are pleased with my work but I am looking for better/more efficient techniques. As a result I would appreciate a critique of my work flow process.

Most of my work involves repairing damaged or deteriorating photos. Many are old, one-of-a-kind prints. I do an initial assessment, as Katrin suggests in her book, and then begin the work process. While there are exceptions I find that the majority of images I work with lend themselves to a very similar early flow.

I save my work in a series of files that comprise progressive stages of change. If I mess up I can alway go back one stage and avoid having to start from scratch. :o)

Step 1 - I normally scan photos with a capture area that is slightly larger than the actual photo. I get it all and save that as my initial file. If I plan to enlarge the image I save it as a Genuine Fractals file.

Step 2 - I open the file in Photoshop (CS), crop the file to the final print size, and save the file. In some cases this may mean dealing with composition issues that should be discussed with the client. The reason I begin with cropping (my theory) is that eliminates image information that may complicate adjusting Levels, etc. If the client wants more than one size of the same print I start with the largest size image.

Step 3 - Once the file is cropped to size I check the histogram and, more often than not, add a Levels adjustment layer. Once the Levels and/or other generic adjustmenst are right I am ready to to begin working on detailed corrections. It seems to me that dealing with broad changes before getting into repair work makes sense.

Let me stop at this point. How am I doing? Have I missed anything? Is any of the logic flawed? Any suggestions for improvement?

Also, at what point is sharpening best performed. I have read differing views on this point. I am currently using Nik Sharpener Pro and am happy with the results but am still a bit fuzzy on timing. Is there something better out there in the way of software?

More questions to follow. :o)

... this thread contains expert advice from Katrin Eismann.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

July 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
16 17
28 29 30
August 2004
S M T W T F S
9 10 11 12 13 14
29 30 31        

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service