<
  News   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Profile FAQ And Instruction Manual
Sunday October 31, 2004
by IR Staff

We have compiled a new and up to date Profile FAQ. If you are ordering a printer profile, please make sure that you read the information contained here. Many of the questions you may have will be answered here. These articles are in PDF format.

Patching and Healing with Martin Evening.
Friday October 22, 2004
by Martin Evening

The third in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Healing Brush and Patch Tool. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Nikon Scanning Workflow
Friday October 15, 2004
by Scott Martin

Scott Martin has deciphered Nikon's workflow technology and brings us this quick guide to achieving great scans. For more information on Scott and his work, please visit www.on-sight.com.

Image Adjustments with Martin Evening.
Friday October 8, 2004
by Martin Evening

The second in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Photo Filter and Color Temperature. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Weekly Chatter:Monitor Recommendation
Wednesday October 6, 2004
by Imaging Revue Experts and Staff

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available in our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list. This thread contains some great information regarding the Sony Artisan and also touches on the LCD vs. CRT debate. If you are having some trouble with Artisan calibration, there are some helpful comments here. Jon Kulas

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Printers > Fine Art/Photographic Printing > Matte vs Glossy Paper and the Holy Grail

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Matte vs Glossy Paper and the Holy Grail   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Mitch Alland
Posted on Fri Apr 2, 2004 11:03 AM

First, the holy grail for many people is the look of air-dried glossy paper, as described by Anselm Adams in _The_Print_ (p. 45):

Maximum image brilliance is obtained on a smooth, glossy-surfaced paper, which can have a reflectance range of up to 1: 100 and higher...The matte papers have much lower brilliance, with a reflection-density range of about 1:25...I use glossy papers comparable to Kodak's "F"- surface. Unferrotyped, these papers give a smooth semi-gloss finish with long tonal range.

Consider color prints: when I first got my Epson 7600 it came with Photo Black ink and I printed color on Epson Semi-Matte but then switched to Matte Black and printed on Epson Enhanced Matte and Hahnemuehle Photo Rag. However, when I needed to make extra color prints for an exhibition, it became very clear that prints with Matte Black ink on the latter two papers were nowhere near as "brilliant" as using the Photo Black/Semi-Matte combination. Anyone who looked at the two sets of prints preferred the prints made with Photo Black on Semi-Matte.; and I had to switch back to Photo Black to complete the prints for my exhibition. (However, I do understand that some people who are looking for a certain "look" are happy with or prefer Matte Black and matte paper.)

For B&W; prints, I also found more brilliance from the Photo Black/Semi-Matte than from Matte Black and matte paper, bearing out Anselm Adams observation above. But the trouble is that prints on Semi-Matte have some bronzing, although, paradoxically, I find the bronzing less objectionable on large (16x24") than small (A4) prints. Some people have suggested that Epson Pro Glossy paper has less bronzing, but for me the problem is that the largest roll that this paper is available in is 17", not 24". I have also heard that Oriental FB Glossy paper is less subject to bronzing than Semi-Matte but, apart from its cost, Paul Roark reports that this paper has substantially lower Dmax than EEM, and has a very fragile surface too boot. So for B&W;, the bronzing problem remains, although it can be solved by laminating the print or by face-mounting on plexiglass which I have found is the most spectacular way to display a large print -- and that's as close to the holy grail that I can get.

I'm sure that a lot of people will object that they prefer B&W; prints on matte paper, with their long tonal range in the mid-tones which is similar to a platinum print. But that isn't my preference, as I am after deep, rich black and brilliance.

--Mitch/Potomac, MD

... this thread contains 6 more post(s).

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

November 2004
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5
12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
December 2004
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright �2002-2004
Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service