<
  News   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Photoshop CS Add Ons From Al Ward.
Monday November 15, 2004
by Al Ward

Al Ward has provided Imaging Revue with Phtoshop CS styles to download. These files are in a zip format and can be opened using both Stuffit and WinZip. For more information about Al please visit www.actionfx.com. Please stay tuned for a future discount for IR members to Al's site.

Profile FAQ And Instruction Manual
Sunday October 31, 2004
by IR Staff

We have compiled a new and up to date Profile FAQ. If you are ordering a printer profile, please make sure that you read the information contained here. Many of the questions you may have will be answered here. These articles are in PDF format.

Patching and Healing with Martin Evening.
Friday October 22, 2004
by Martin Evening

The third in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Healing Brush and Patch Tool. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Nikon Scanning Workflow
Friday October 15, 2004
by Scott Martin

Scott Martin has deciphered Nikon's workflow technology and brings us this quick guide to achieving great scans. For more information on Scott and his work, please visit www.on-sight.com.

Image Adjustments with Martin Evening.
Friday October 8, 2004
by Martin Evening

The second in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Photo Filter and Color Temperature. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Software > Inside Photoshop > Saving color correction settings in ACR and flags in CS browser

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Saving color correction settings in ACR and flags in CS browser   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Paula Lerner
Posted on Thu Apr 8, 2004 12:15 PM

I am having a problem tracking certain pieces of data, and I'm hoping that some knowledgeable folks on this forum can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

My basic workflow is to shoot digital files, color correct them in ACR, mark them as flagged/unflagged, append metadata and then copy the files to external hard drives for storage and backup.

I had thought that when we do color corrections in ACR that the information on all the slider settings would be saved in the side car. I discovered this wasn't the case the other day when I noticed that one folder of digital files had no side cars at all. Upon investigating I realized I had forgotten to append the metadata (i.e., usage and copyright info in File Info) to that set of images. I thought: no worries, and just opened the file and added the data. Afterward the .xmp side cars appeared in the same folder as expected. Still, when I went to open the images in the browser, all the color corrections I'd done were visible in the thumbnails, but none of the files were marked as "flagged" anymore. I want to keep this information with the file, but I seem to have lost it somehow. So one question is: how do you keep the flagged markings attached to the files?

Next problem: I had another set of raw files that I had color corrected, marked as flagged/unflagged, appended metadata to, and saved a backup copy on an external drive. Because I had a computer crash a month ago, I had some confusion as to which were my originals and which were my backups. I opened one set of raw files in my browser from the external drive, and noticed that none of the color correction settings were coming up in the thumbnails, nor were they marked as flagged. That's odd, I thought, so I went to my original set of raw files on my main computer's hard drive, and when I opened that copy of the raw files in the PS CS browser all the color correction information was there in the thumbnails, along with the flag markings. Phew! I was relieved that I hadn't lost the color correction data. So I renamed the folder "Raw Files XXXX cc'ed and flagged", and made a new copy of this file on my backup external drive.

BUT: now when I go to load ANY of these folders into my PS CS browser, none of them show up with the color corrected thumbnails, and none of them have the flagged markings. My color corrections on the thumbnails seems to have disappeared. What am I doing wrong?

This has been happening with other sets of files, and I know part of the problem is keeping straight where everything is given my transfer to my new system. I thought I'd been doing that by keeping the working copies of everything on my external drive (backed up to a mirrored 2nd external drive) and only taking out what I needed from the primary external drive. I thought I might have messed up somewhere by inadvertantly overwriting raw file folders that had no color corrections with ones that did have the color corrections with the same folder name. But even if that were the case, it still wouldn't explain the above.

I have more than a thousand raw files for a multi-part long job I'm doing for a client, and if I've lost the color correction info for these somehow I will be one very unhappy camper. On any particular file I can always go to a saved JPEG version and look for the settings in the file info, but if I have to reprocess a few hundred of these in the next few days for a new set of client specs, looking them up one at a time will be a big PITA.

Can someone tell me a) where the color correction data you do to raw files in ACR is stored, 2) where the flagging info you mark in the browser is stored, and 3) what the heck am I doing wrong?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paula Lerner

... this thread contains 11 more post(s).

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

January 2005
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          
February 2005
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
27 28          

Upcoming Events

PMA 2005
    2/20/05 at 8:00 AM to 2/23/05
BLACK and WHITE MASTERY with JOHN PAUL CAPONIGRO
    2/21/05 at 9:00 AM to 2/25/05

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright �2002-2004
Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service