<
  News   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Profile FAQ And Instruction Manual
Sunday October 31, 2004
by IR Staff

We have compiled a new and up to date Profile FAQ. If you are ordering a printer profile, please make sure that you read the information contained here. Many of the questions you may have will be answered here. These articles are in PDF format.

Patching and Healing with Martin Evening.
Friday October 22, 2004
by Martin Evening

The third in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Healing Brush and Patch Tool. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Nikon Scanning Workflow
Friday October 15, 2004
by Scott Martin

Scott Martin has deciphered Nikon's workflow technology and brings us this quick guide to achieving great scans. For more information on Scott and his work, please visit www.on-sight.com.

Image Adjustments with Martin Evening.
Friday October 8, 2004
by Martin Evening

The second in a series of tutorials, Martin discusses the Photo Filter and Color Temperature. Martin's video tutorial accompanies this PDF and can be uncompressed using WinZip or the Stuffit expander. Published with permission of Focal Press Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2004. For more information about this book and other Focal Press titles, please visit www.focalpress.com.

Weekly Chatter:Monitor Recommendation
Wednesday October 6, 2004
by Imaging Revue Experts and Staff

Each and every week, Imaging Revue offers non-members a tantalizing taste of the information available in our forums. Make sure to check out the entire list. This thread contains some great information regarding the Sony Artisan and also touches on the LCD vs. CRT debate. If you are having some trouble with Artisan calibration, there are some helpful comments here. Jon Kulas

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Printers > Fine Art/Photographic Printing > What to do with all these pixles...

Please Login

AuthorSubject: What to do with all these pixles...   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Jeff Singer
Posted on Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:11 PM

I scan my medium format negs with my Minolta Dimage Scan Multi-PRO at the full resolution of the scanner. That leaves me with some very large files to say the least. I always keep the raw scan at the full size, 16b in case I ever want to go back.

I will then downsize my images to what I think the maximum size I will ever likely need the image to be. The biggest need for me is stock agencies that ask for 100MB RGB 8B files. So, I keel everything at about 6000x6000 pixles. When I go from the full scan rez (10k x 10k pixles) to 6000x6000 I use photoshop and resample bicubic in 5% intervals until I get to the desired size.

More info...
I use imageprint for all my printing. To date, I have not been resizing my full rez images when sending them to IP. So, for a typical print I may be sending an 8x8 @ 746ppi image (or whatever it comes out to be for the particular image) to the printer. I know its overkill in terms of resolution. I am also using PhotoKit sharpener to sharpen the files.

All this leads me to the questions:

- Does the photokit sharpener perform sub-optimally on a 8x8 @ 746ppi file when using the "480 Matte" mode (the highest ppi mode)?

- If I should be downsizing these large files when sending to IP or using PhotoKit Sharpener... what is generally considered the best way to do it? I find that going from my raw scan down to 6000x6000 in 5% "bicubic" increments is much better than going from the raw scan to 6000x6000 in one bicubic step. However, if I go from a very large rez down to web size, I much prefer doing it in one step and then sharpening. If I go from say 6000x6000 to 600x600 in 5% steps, the image has a harsh sharpness to it.

Is it fine to be sending such large files to IP and PK Sharpener? What are the experts doing with their large scans?

Thanks,
Jeff

... this thread contains 3 more post(s).

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

November 2004
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5
12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
December 2004
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Upcoming Events

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

Copyright �2002-2004
Virtuaserve Inc. Online Media Division
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service