<
  News     DIFP   Benefits Profiles Account  

articles

Book Review: Color Confidence by Tim Grey
Monday May 24, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Tim Grey's new book Color Confidence. Included is an excerpt from the book, Chapter 3, which deals with choosing and calibrating Displays.

Creating Panoramas
Monday May 10, 2004
by Ellen Anon

Ellen Anon illustrates the creation of Panoramas in Photoshop.

Working with Pressure Sensitive Tablets
Monday May 3, 2004
by Katrin Eismann

Katrin Eismann outlines the use of pressure sensitive tablets in image processing.

Book Review: Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging(Updated)
Monday April 26, 2004
by IR Staff

IR Staff reviews Peter K. Burian's latest book, "Mastering Digital Photography and Imaging."

Digital Workflow for RAW Processing: Part IV - Batch
Thursday April 1, 2004
by Jeff Schewe

The fourth in a five part series, Jeff demonstrates the application of settings from one image to a series of images within Photoshop.

...see more articles(many more!)

forums

Software > Inside Photoshop > Slow file browser

Please Login

AuthorSubject: Slow file browser   [Go to Bottom of Page]
Paula Lerner
Posted on Sun May 30, 2004 10:26 PM

I meant to ask this on the forum earlier, but got waylayed with other problems (see recent thread File Browser, cache and changing folder names). I've noticed that if I come back from a shoot and download a few hundred images into a single folder and open it up in the PS CS file browser, things begin to run verrrrrry slowly. I'm working on a dual G5 with maxed out memory, and a 40GB dedicated scratch disk, so my computer is not the source of the issue. Given my recent problems with subfolders in a single enclosed job folder, I'd rather use as few subfolders as possible.

I still find iView considerably faster than the PS CS file browser for making a basic edit of the raw take, so my workflow looks like this:

1. Download all raw images into iView. Edit take down to smallest total number of raws, and batch renumber in iView.

2. Load raw files into CS File Browser, build cache for subfolders via Jeff Schewe's modal method, and export cache.

3. Do batch color corrections, add batch file info and flag selects in the FB.

3. Process flagged and unflagged files into separately JPEG folders for making a web gallery (I'd make the gallery straight from the raws in the FB, but I write a separate action to mark my flags with a red X so that when the client scans the gallery the selects are very obvious).

4. Combine unmarked JPEGs and flagged JPEGS into single folder, make web gallery and post to private web page for client review.

The problem is that when I get to step 3, if there's anything more than a hundred or so images, the browser gets reeeeeaally slow. It can take 4-5 seconds just to get a pull down menu to work, or for a flag marker to show up after hitting the keyboard shortcut command-apostrophe. The last group of files I worked on was a set of a little over 700 images that I broke up into two subfolders of approximately 350.

Maybe I've gotten spoiled, as when I upgraded a few months ago from an aging G4 with a 350 MHZ processor to a new dual G5, the new computer seemed blazingly fast. But when all simple commands are delayed in executing and I've got many hundreds of files to work on, it just feels like my work is no longer streamlined.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing that is slowing me down, or anything I can do to pick things up? Will purging the cache make much of a difference?

Paula Lerner

www.lernerphoto.com

... this thread contains expert advice from Seth Resnick and Bruce Fraser.

sign-up now

Imagine being able to ask any one of TEN of the leading industry experts in the digital imaging field any question for just pennies a day...well stop imagining and sign-up now! member login

Login with an existing account.
E-mail:
Password:

Forgot your password?
CLICK HERE

calendar

June 2004
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
8 9 10 11 12
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      
July 2004
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
16 17
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Upcoming Events

Article
    6/7/04 at 5:00 PM
Digital Worklfow, Not Workslow, Make your WORKflow (a D-65 Workshop Led by IR Expert, Seth Resnick)
    6/13/04 at 9:00 AM to 6/19/04
Macworld Conference and Expo
    7/12/04 at 9:00 AM to 7/15/04
Digital Worklfow, Not Workslow, Make your WORKflow (a D-65 Workshop Led by IR Expert, Seth Resnick)
    7/18/04 at 9:00 AM to 7/24/04

...see more upcoming events

imagingrevue Members receive special discounts on most events listed in calendar

customer.support@ imagingrevue.com
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service